Book an Author to Chat with your Bookclub or Writing Group
Your group can enjoy a meet and greet with any of our authors for 25 minutes for free. These opportunities add flavour to your reading of a book. It is highly recommended that your groups’ members have read the book prior to meeting the author to get the most out of the experience. Most of these are over zoom so our authors can go anywhere.
Networking for Authors
Brisbane Book Authors
- Non-profit, social networking group.
- Members are Traditional, Indie or Self-Published.
- Meets 6:30pm on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, at Mitchelton Library, Brisbane.
- Members range from 40+ books, through to 6-15 and a few with 1 or 2.
- Industry guest speakers.
- New members welcomed – but must be published authors.
- To register interest email Carolyn. Include your website and book details.
- Hawkeye Publishing is a sponsor of Brisbane Book Authors.
Want to be an author?
We highly recommend you join a writing group. If the first one you try doesn’t float your boat, try another. Networking with other writers will improve your writing, and your exposure to the industry.
Keep your eye out for writing courses at your local libraries. They often run surprisingly good writing courses for free. We like supporting libraries because most pay their presenters and guest speakers. We support organisations who remunerate their artists appropriately! Too often, professional artists are asked to work and share their considerable skills for free.
Your State Writing Centre is an excellent resource. For instance, the closest one to us, Queensland Writers’ Centre has top-notch resources and events sections on their site.
Another highly recommended resource close to us is Brisbane Writers Workshop. For the serious writer, the topics and presenters open new doors in your writing journey. We’ve consistently heard good feedback about their courses. They offer courses digitally all over Australia, and in-person in Brisbane, Gold and Sunshine Coasts.
Attend writing festivals. Not only will you have a fabulous weekend, you’ll learn much.
There is a very big difference between good writing and exceptional writing. If you want to be a published author; you need to keep working towards exceptional.
Happy writing, and happy learning! Explore what’s on your doorstep. You won’t learn anything new sitting at home writing what you already know.
Business Over Drinks
In this interview with Terng and David from Business Over Drinks, publisher Carolyn Martinez talks business start-ups.
WE CHAT ABOUT:
- What’s it like starting a publishing company?
- Surface Children
- How an aspiring author can get published
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- Welcome to Blackwood by Khaiah Thomson
- Marketing tips for authors and comms professionals
- Everyday A**holes
- Yoast SEO
- The Berkshire Hathaway website
- Why bookstores need to stay alive
- Tips for wannabe kid’s books authors
- Do Not Open This Book